Friday, January 16, 2009

We've Moved

Our new home.

How time flies! My 6 month contract finished on January 9th. To celebrate, we took a month off and caught a flight down to Christchurch. Our plan: rent a campervan for an entire month and explore the South Island.

This is one of those gambits that either pays off or ruins you. I freely admit that we were equal parts nervous and excited as the trip approached, neither Amy nor I knowing if we could pull off a month long, thousand mile road trip while living out of a van.

So far we've been on the road for 6 days, long enough to lose track of time and settle into a groove. We've been pleasantly surprised at how well things have gone, and I already find myself wishing that we had more time on this trip.

We move almost every day, driving about 2 hours per day. I eventually plan to post about the stuff we've seen, but I have to catch up on some other things first (there are so many other things to tell about even before I get to the trip; my climbing trip with Kraemer, our visit from our friend Robin)...

Thus far the risk has paid off beautifully. The other day I spent an entire hour pushing rocks off of a bridge into the river with Amelia. The kids have adapted beautifully to the travelling and we've seen things so amazing that they defy description (I know I say that a lot. Ask anyone that knows a lot about NZ and they'll tell you I'm not kidding- the things we've seen prior to this are like NZ Lite compared to the areas we're seeing now).

I'll be honest: my goal is to start posting about these travels within the next month. As you can see, it can get pretty remote here and thus internet access can be a bit dodgy (that's our van in the photo below):


The view from our new kitchen is worth it, though.


All of these pics were taken during our stay near Arthur's Pass. More to come, and hopefully soon...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think I've ever been this jealous of anything. What an amazing trip you guys are having. We rented a Westy in California for a week and now I obsessed with getting one. I can't imagine living in one for a month. Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Wow - enjoy every moment. Be safe and have so much fun. We miss you and are terribly jealous of you. Love, Anne and Matt

Unknown said...

Hey man!!! P love just told me that you might be headin my way. Gotta catch up. NZ looks awesome!!!

Casey said...

Good Lord, I know you shouldn't covet the experiences of one's friends...but there it is. I'm coveting.

Love to you all, Casey