Monday, July 21, 2008

Alive and Wellington

We made it.

In retrospect, the trip over here was a lot like childbirth (from what I gather, anyway). It wasn't particularly pleasant, but the hard parts seem to fade from memory pretty quickly and we've got something pretty neat to show for it.

I'll spare you all of the details, but the trip really could have been worse. The flight to LAX was the hardest as the kids were wide awake. Quinn got bored, then vocal. Both kids crashed for a long time on the long flight to Auckland. Oh, and the guy who booked our flights was at least two hours off on the travel time; 10 hours and 40 minutes of flying will only get you to Tonga. It was more like 13 or 14 hours, but there were lots of other kids on that flight and the outstanding flight crew really helped out by letting us use a roped-off area of the plane as a nursery. I'll revisit the fact that this country is overflowing with common sense and courtesy which I find quite refreshing.

The low point of the trip occurred when we had to retrieve all of our bags to go through customs in Auckland. That means that Amy and I had to split this between us (plus Quinn, of course):



Anyway, we had very little time to make it through customs before our last flight, and they have a policy that anyone running late for a flight is asked to head straight to their gate with all of their luggage instead of checking in again. The only issue is that the domestic terminal is over half a mile away. I can't say enough about how well my wife and daughter handled this. Amelia ran the entire way hopping like a bunny, never getting the least bit upset (she cried for less than a minute during the entire trip; in return, I will buy her a pony).

From there, it was all downhill. We met one of my future colleagues on the next flight and it turns out that she went to med school with one of my best friends from residency (Kirk, it's Amy Johnson). Small world and all.

I expected Wellington to be pretty. It's gorgeous. Pictures really don't do it justice. The coastline reminds me of Hawaii with beautiful water and waves crashing over steep rocks. The hills around town are indeed very steep and the houses cling precariously to them. In typical Wellington fashion, the houses right next to ours are completely below us so that I see my neighbor's roof when I look down out of my window. The views from our house are really something.

I'm realizing that there is absolutely no way to cram everything I want to say into one post, so I'm calling it a night. Suffice it to say that we are quite happy with everything so far, and we'll tell you more soon.

5 comments:

Fries said...

Sweet. Can't wait for the pics. Glad you guys made it over safely.

Anonymous said...

So happy you all have arrived safe and sound!! Thank you so much for posting that beautiful pic of the girls. We miss you so much already!
xoxo

NolaBabyDaddy said...

Very cool and great girl Amelia!! Bruce I gotta say, there's never been a shorter yet perfectly descriptive sentence than, "Quinn got bored, then vocal."

As sad as "Exodus" made me, "Alive and Wellington" got me really excited for you guys.

Get some rest and keep us up to date.

Holla,

Joe

AuntFaith said...

Geeze....wish I could have tagged along at least long enough to help you and Amy with the luggage! I was able to picture Amelia doing such a swell job of keeping up. I just can't figure out what you did with Quinn during this luggage carting episode....and I'm having trouble picturing Amy with anything but a beautiful smile. What an experience for you/family and the rest of us as we read along! LOVED the picture of Quinn. Funny, I can see Bruce III with that SAME expression before he leaves for his first visit to see you.
xoxoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

And I thought I knew all about the challenges of negotiating bags, babes, carseats and strollers through airports, etc.! Dude. How did you guys transport all that stuff (and Quinn)!!!! Wow. Glad you made it safely, and glad that the kiddies slept! (Benadryl???? ;) )