Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Exodus

Well, tomorrow is the big day. Amy and I are quite ready because we've spent a very long time preparing for it, but I'll admit that I feel about like I did the first time I went away to summer camp. I'm not talking about the two week version, either- I'm talking about the one that lasted a whole month.

Funny thing is, I'm not really that worried about whether we'll like New Zealand or whether my job will work out or whether we'll like our house. What's got me concerned is the trip there.

Re: logistics, it's a 1.5 hour drive to DC, a 5 hour flight to LA, a 4 hour layover, just under 11 hours to Auckland, and (just to rub it in) 2 hours more to Wellington. This seems pretty manageable to me given that it's a 9000 mile trip, more or less. So, what's on my mind? Why the butterflies? I'll show you:


The Mighty Quinn.

Quinn's a good kid, and he's really blossomed over the past week. You know how kids have those not-so-obvious milestones where they clearly make a rapid change even if it's not crawling/walking/potty training? Well, the boy has started to come into his own, complete with a wonderful belly laugh and a very outgoing personality. Thing is, he's still a baby.

I have very few concerns about Amelia. After months of intense brainwashing, she appears convinced that New Zealand is made entirely of candy and is populated by friendly, talking dolphins. Seriously, she seems to have a reasonable understanding of what's going on and I think she'll be up for the adventure. Aside from the fact that she is excited about the trip, we have an entire bag of loot which should keep her occupied for a while. Quinn, on the other hand, won't give a damn about our bag of goodies if things start to go bad. Oh man, do I not want to be That Guy With the Screaming Kid for the next 2 days.

We may be offline for a while while we travel/recoup/get internet service. Hopefully, we'll be able to post something within the week. Until then, lots of love to all of you. We'll miss you very much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that little - well, okay, BIG - man of yours! He really is coming into his own, and his eyes show it. Curiosity 101.

And Amelia. Honestly, could she BE any cuter? I was just telling someone the other night that she has the most incredible vocabulary of any 2 1/2 year old I know. Kudos to you both for a fantastic, kind, and gentle child.

Can't wait to hear the flight details.

Fries said...

Bruce & Amy,


Jessi & I are feeling your pain. We leave for England in 3 weeks and have a 14 month old with an 8 hour plane trip. Not quite as long as yours but still, painful. We got the traveling DVD player so hopefully that will help. It seems like you guys have been gone a long time already. Hopefully, the move is just temporary (that is what I keep telling myself).
I will be checking this every day. Keep up the good work. Quinn has about the same amount of hair as Scott did at his age (none). Still cue though. I see Bruce's face in him, though.
Have fun guys.


Jeff & Jessi

Anonymous said...

Oh Guys...I am thinking about you today. I wish you all the luck!! And how much Quinn has changed already just in the picture. We are going to miss you guys. I'm so glad that you set this up so we can experience your journey with you.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - that picture of Amelia and Caroline is adorable! They are both so big - I can't believe it. I hope you have wonderful, safe, and tantrum free travels. We love you!

Heather said...

Hope the trip goes so well! And if NZ is anything like what Amelia thinks it is, we'll be moving there too! Quinn and Amelia are looking so adorable- can't wait to see pics of them in their new world! We are so excited for you and wish you all the best! Much love from the Boston Bruskins!