Sunday, July 27, 2008

Food

As we explore our new city, food is a top priority for us, and we've discovered some interesting differences between our US food staples and those here in NZ. The grocery stores are full of interesting new produce, odd snacks, and quirky variations of things we took for granted at home. For instance, grape jelly and black beans do not exist here, lettuce is sold brown and wilted (After 4 different grocery stores, I have yet to see a head of lettuce that I'd eat), and yet an entire 3/4 of the grocery aisle is dedicated to baked beans - spicy baked beans, baked beans with franks, baked beans in brine, baked beans in fruit sauce, baked beans in plum sauce.........and speaking of plum sauce/plum jelly. It is used without caution or warning here - I ordered a veggie burger while out and about and it was fantastic....aside from the slathering of plum jelly that it was coated in. The plum sauce/jelly seems to make it's way into everything - taco sauce, salsa, even pizza. Like most Americans, pizza is one of our most beloved go-to foods. So, after a particularly busy day, I called the pizza place just down the block:

Me: I'd like to place an order for delivery, please. One medium cheese pizza and one large pepperoni pizza please.

Pizza Place: Ok, that's one pizza with cheese and one pizza with only pepperoni?

Me: Yes, thank you.

Pizza Place: Only pepperoni on the large pizza?

Me: Yes.

Pizza Place: So, no cheese?

Me: Oh, yes, cheese and pepperoni, please.

Pizza Place: Ok - cheese and pepperoni, only?

Me: Well, yes, just cheese and pepperoni on the large pizza.

Pizza Place: So, no tomato sauce?

Me: oh - yes, I'd like tomato sauce too please.

Clearly, this was an uncommon request. And after checking out the grocery store aisles and not finding a single cheese or pepperoni pizza, it's clear that we have to expand our toppings repertoire. Perhaps ham, pineapple, and plum jelly isn't so bad after all..............

2 comments:

Taryn said...

Bruce and Amy, I love reading your posts. I am impressed with the feat you accomplished in traveling with all that luggage with two kids in tow, that you're managing to blog at all and ... that you have already had two posts about food (my kind of people). Indian food, at that. Glad to hear you all made it in one piece!

Casey said...

Haha! Amy, I love the dialogue w/ the pizza place. I can just hear you repeating your request in your nice, calm, counselor voice. Keep up the writing, you guys! It makes me like I'm there -- well, at least, a little bit!